On Thursday, August 16th, the West Chester Fire Department, Goshen Fire Company, and Good Fellowship Ambulance were dispatched to the 500 Block of South Walnut Street for a house on fire. Initial reports indicated a fire on the rear porch of a house in the middle of the 500 Block of South Walnut Street. Rescue 53 was the first to arrive and reported smoke showing from the front of a 3 story twin, Assistant 51 arrived and assumed the Operations Officer, reporting fire on the rear porch of a 3 story twin and extending to the upper floors, Chief 51 arrived and assumed South Walnut Street Command.
Engine 52 – 2 arrived and laid 300' of Supply Hose and stretched the initial attack line through the front door, joined by the crew from Rescue 53 they advanced through the front door to find fire in the kitchen and on the rear porch. The crew from Engine 52 – 2 and Rescue 53 worked to rapidly knock down the advancing fire, perform the primary search of the first floor, and open the ceilings and walls in the kitchen to ensure that the fire had not extended in any hidden void spaces.
As additional crews arrived they were assigned to search the upper floors of the fire building, check for fire extension, place portable ladders, and extinguish all visible fire within the building and the rear porch of the exposure building. The fire was placed under control within 30 minutes of dispatch and crews were held to assist County and State Fire Marshals with their investigation. Ultimately the incident was held to both Engines from the Good Will Fire Company and the Ladder, Rescue, and Engine from the Fame Fire Company. Members from the Good Will and Fame assisted with repacking hose lines and restoring equipment prior to leaving the scene, the final West Chester units were released around 12:51AM.
Thank you to the stand by companies that relocated to West Chester to ensure adequate fire protection in the event another emergency had occurred. Residents are reminded to check the batteries in their smoke detectors, so that they work properly in the event of an emergency. There were no reported injuries as a result of this fire; however residents of both buildings were displaced because of the damage caused by the fire